Test Management & Test Suite
SAP Solution Manager provides a central platform for handling all aspects of test management and related activities throughout the entire lifecycle.
- Documentation of business processes and mapping to SAP systems
- Dynamic analysis of the impact of software changes on SAP business processes
- Planning of manual and automated tests
- Test execution and documentation
- Handling of incidents and defects
- Monitoring test execution and defects
- Reporting of test status, progress and effort
- Validation of integration tests
Test management consists of the following phases:
- Determination of the test scope
- Test planning
- Testing and transfer of the changes into productive operation
With the Solution Manager Test Suite, the required scope of testing for cross-system business processes can be defined and the tests can be centrally managed and executed. The test functions of the SAP Solution Manager are used with the Test Suite to create test packages and assign them to the corresponding testers.
The execution of tests on complex process chains often requires different testers with different knowledge of the processes. For this reason, the Test Suite offers the possibility to create test sequences and to define which test cases are executed by which testers. Only when the previous step of the test sequence is completed, the next tester is notified by email to start testing.
To ensure that internal requirements are met and that a formal release procedure is possible, a status release scheme can be used with the Test Suite. This can be used to specify that test plans and test packages cannot be used until they have been explicitly released. As soon as the test activities are completed, the test plan and test packages can be locked.
The errors and incidents that occur during testing can be managed in SAP Solution Manager via the integrated IT Service Management (ITSM). The test case and the incident message are linked and can be called up directly from the status reporting for further analysis. In addition, the Test Suite offers a variety of hierarchical and list-based reports for monitoring the status.
Why do you need automated functional tests?
Software changes to SAP solutions take place on a regular basis
The scope and frequency of change is increasing
Functional regression testing should act as an accelerator and not as a hurdle to the pace of innovation projects
More business processes with regression testing are covered
More errors in QAS environments are identified
Reduction of costs, which can be sued to cover recurring costs for manual tests
Test Automation incl. CBTA
The Test Automation Framework (TAF) supports the creation and execution of automated test cases. Just like manual tests, automated tests can be started with the Test Automation Framework from the test package. After the execution of the test, the application automatically sets the test status. The extensive test logs are managed in the Test Suite and the logs can then be called up directly from the status reports. In addition, the Test Automation Framework offers the functionality to schedule automated tests for a specific point in time.
- Seamless integration between SAP Solution Manager and test tools from SAP and partners
- Test data containers (TDC) provide test data for test script parameters
- Central management of the tested system
- Start of automated tests from the Test Management Workcenter
- Ad-hoc start or control programme for unattended execution
- Integrated test execution protocols from partner tools
- Test manager can display test results from manual and automated tests in one environment
- Status and progress reports
- Integrated partner reports
- Workflow between tester and test engineer to trigger test case repair
- Rich environment for analyzing problems and performing repair actions for the test engineer
In the Test Suite, the SAP Component Based Test Automation (CBTA) tool is used to create automated test cases. The following functions can be used for planning automated tests with CBTA:
- CBTA Script
- Test data container
- System data container
- Test Composition Environment (TCE)
- Manual and automated functional testing
- Automated change impact analysis of maintenance activities to optimize the test scope of regression tests
- Supports the agile development approach within the requirements fulfillment process through Focused Build for SAP Solution Manager
- Seamless integration into the SAP Solution Manager process